Re: About Simplify

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg59673] Re: About Simplify
  • From: albert <awnl at arcor.de>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 04:00:26 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi Peltio,

> The recent threads about Simplify made me wonder why the user is not
> allowed to choose which transformation rules apply to the expression
> passed to it. Of course Simplify and FullSimplify are no longer (if they
> ever were) written in Mathematica code, but is it at all impossible to
> rewrite its interface in order to let the user interact with the builtin
> code?

Maybe I have not thought enough about your posting, but I think there is a
switch to do exactly that. Are you aware of the option
TransformationFunctions that both Simplify and FullSimplify understand? It
does not work exactly as you suggested, but could be used to achieve
something quite close by defining corresponding lists of
TransformationFunctions to pass to either of the Simplify. There have been
some nice applications of this options posted to this newsgroup, in case
you need more information than what is in the helpbrowser...

Albert

PS: FullSimplify understands another option ExcludedForms which you might
want to look at...