Re: About Simplify

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg59777] Re: About Simplify
  • From: "Peltio" <peltio at trilight.zone>
  • Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2005 03:14:57 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Thanks to everybody for their replies. I use this post to comment on them.

"Curtis Osterhoudt" wrote

>  I tried a direct response, but my demunging wasn't crafty enough for
>your email's reply-to.

I'm sorry for that. But munging is the best defense I've tried so far
against spamming. This year I received only 2 spam messages. At any rate,
"mynick @ despammed . com" (without spaces and quotes) would do - I will
prolly revise my tagline.

>The documentation for TransformationFunctions (with which I haven't
>played, but wish I knew about far, far earlier) indicates that if the
>user includes a list of transformations to try, only those are used. It
>seems that it gets at the problem of strange outputs from just the other
>direction of what you're suggesting.

Being used to work chiefly on version 3, I was not aware of this particular
improvement (which I will soon investigate - especially Andrzej's 'take a
peek' code- so thanks to you and the other posters for the tips).
But, as you said, it approaches the solution the other way round and the
user might want to just skip a particular simplification that comes out in
the output of Mathematica. It would be nice to be able to exclude, for
example, the hypergeometric functions from a simplification.

I will experiment a little with TransformationFunctions and ExcludedForms
options of Simplfy and FullSimplify in the future, but from what I've
read in the documentation there is no easy way to exclude certain rules
from the simplification process.
The only way I can think of would be to build a simplification routine from
scratch, by adding tons of simplification rules and by excluding those for
the hypergeometric functions.

cheers,
Peltio
Invalid address in reply-to. Use peltio (at) despammed (dot) com to e-mail
me.