Re: Nested Lists, Definition and Evaluation.

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg59752] Re: Nested Lists, Definition and Evaluation.
  • From: "Jens-Peer Kuska" <kuska at informatik.uni-leipzig.de>
  • Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2005 03:13:41 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi,

Part[] is a bit command that may or may not
evaluate it's argument.
This is the only way to allow assigments to single
objects in a list.
Thats why Part[Part[__],_] will not work because
the inner part gets evaluated and you can't assign
anything to the evaluated expression.
You need
b[[1, 1, 1, 1]] = 2

that works fine.

Regards

  Jens

"Alexander" <beginning.physst at mail.ru> schrieb im
Newsbeitrag news:de45o1$quj$1 at smc.vnet.net...
| Hello!
|
| Here is simple example of defining list:
|
| b = Table[Symbol["a" <> ToString[i] <>
ToString[j]], {i, 2}, {j, 2}];
| a11 = IdentityMatrix[2];
| b[[1,1]][[1,1]]
|
| Output will be number 1.
|
| Then we type another command:
| b[[1,1]][[1,1]]=2
|
| wich cause error message.
|
| If we type ?b the structure of b can be seen:
| Global`b
| b = {{a11, a12}, {a21, a22}}
|
| And I wonder, how to change elements of aij from
b? It's interesing
| question about how mathematica think things and
how evaluate them.

| So, the questions are:
| 1) Why code above produce error message?
| 2) What difference between b[[1,1]][[1,1]] and
| b[[1,1,1,1]] notation?
|
| Here is an example concerning the second
question:
| This code doesn't produce an error:
|
| a11 = IdentityMatrix[2];
| b = Table[Symbol["a" <> ToString[
|    i] <> ToString[j]], {i, 2}, {j, 2}];
| b[[1, 1, 1, 1]] = 3
|
| but this does:
|
| a11 = IdentityMatrix[2];
| b = Table[Symbol["a" <> ToString[
|    i] <> ToString[j]], {i, 2}, {j, 2}];
| b[[1, 1]][[1, 1]] = 3
|
| Why?
|
| Sorry for my obscure speech, and thanks for your
answers!