Re: my wish list for Mathematica next major version

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg59946] Re: [mg59901] my wish list for Mathematica next major version
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2005 04:53:35 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Re the audience for your suggestions: If you want "someone from Wolfram"
to listen, send your suggestions to "suggestions at wolfram.com"!

Re the suggestions yourself:

1. Have you tried, for a start, David Bailey's M-Degug GUI-based
debugger?  (dbaileyconsultancy.co.uk)

2. Have you tried GUIKit, which now ships with Mathematica?  Or David
Bailey's Super Widget Package, which facilitates using GUIKit?

3. The issue about standalone executables may be more one of licensing
than technical feasibility.

4. What you suggest in the way of a package manager is just the
beginning of what, it seems to me, needs to be done regarding packages.

Right now, both 3rd party packages and packages other than Standard ones
shipped with Mathematica are designed to be installed in a variety of
locations, including notably AddOns > Applications and AddOns
 >ExtraPackages.  Quite a few 3rd party package, especially older ones,
have no context whatsoever and hence can go anywhere.

There are several resulting problems:  (a) It becomes a nightmare to
remember what package is where, and/or in what context it loads.  Thus a
graphics package might be in a context Graphics`, it might instead be in
ExtendGraphics`; a utility might be in Utilities`, but it might equally
well be found in Miscellaneous` or Ersek` (or no context whatsoever).

(b) For those packages whose writers have taken the trouble to prepare
HelpBrowser-based documentation, on the AddOns & Links tab of the
HelpBrowser these packages do NOT appear in a single alphabetically
arranged list in the left-most panel.  There's some scrambled
arrangement of alphabetically arranged sublists, these sublists
corresponding, I think to the physical location of the package -- r, it
Mathematica's own $InstallationDirectory AddOns subdirectory, the
$BaseDirectory AddOns/Applications subdirectory, the $BaseDirectory
AddOns/ExtraPackages subdirectory, etc.

A related issue is that so many package authors rush out the door
packages they designed for their own use, without taking the time and
trouble to prepare HelpBrowser-based documentation that would make them
so much more convenient for others to use.  (With the AuthorTools along
with "Dr Bob's" Adding Help documentation, it's relatively easy to
handle the technical details of preparing that documentation in proper
format.)

5. Easy manipulation of graphics in Mathematica is desperately needed, I
quite agree.  Right now there are a bunch of 3rd party add-ons that
provide some of the functionality, especially 3D movement.  But mouse-
and menu- based access to plot properties is essential.  In this,
Mathematica has fallen behind some other products.

Murray Eisenberg                     murray at math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
Amherst, MA 01003-9305