Re: Re: RasterGraphics[]

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg60044] Re: [mg60033] Re: RasterGraphics[]
  • From: János <janos.lobb at yale.edu>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 04:43:03 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

On Aug 29, 2005, at 1:38 AM, Patrick Flaherty wrote:

> Thanx Jean-Marc - very useful.
>
> A further question.  I substituted ArrayPlot for RasterGraphics.
> So the
> totality of what I'm doing, in a single sheet is:
>
> ONE (initialize)
> << MathWorld`CellularAutomata`;
> rule = 110;
>
> TWO
> Show[ArrayPlot[ElementaryCellularAutomaton[110, 500]]] // Timing
>
> This plots out _twice_ (and presumably identical) - why I wonder?

One is for ArrayPlot, the other is for Show.  If you put a semicolon
after the end of ArrayPlot or if you jut leave out Show, you will
have just one plot.

Mathematica has the built in function CellularAutomaton.  For example:

In[6]:=
ArrayPlot[CellularAutomaton[
    110, Join[Table[0,
      {i, 1, 500}], {1}], 500]]

will show a nice plot of the rule 110 cellular automata started from
one black block on the upper right hand side.

János

> In addition I've clicked on the grahical objects (and they select).
> Right-click ...  I don't see anything that will allow me to resize
> them and make them larger (so that I can inspect more closely what's
> going on inside the objects).
>
> Oh yes.  I'm working from Eric Weisstein's file here:
> mathworld.wolfram.com/Rule110.html
>
> pat
>

> In article <detuv5$cbb$1 at smc.vnet.net>, Jean-Marc Gulliet says...
>

>> Patrick Flaherty wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>>   New to Mathematica.  Version 5.2.
>>>
>>>   Trying to execute:
>>>
>>>   Show[RasterGraphics[ElementaryCellularAutomaton[110, 500]]] //
>>> Timing
>>>
>>> as part of the Rule 110 Cellular Automata stuff (I _have_ figured
>>> out how to
>>> download the initialization stuff from
>>> http://www.mathworld.wolfram.com/packages).
>>>
>>> 'RasterGraphics' above fails saying 'RasterGraphics is not a type
>>> of graphics'.
>>>
>>>   When in fact I see the following file:
>>>
>>> C:\Program Files\Wolfram
>>> Research\Mathematica\5.2\SystemFiles\Kernel\SystemResources
>>> \Windows\Graphics\RasterGraphics.mx
>>>
>>> I think I need to do a GET or something on this, but haven't
>>> quite figured it
>>> out yet.
>>>
>>>   pat
>>>

>> (* Additions to my previous message. *)
>>
>> The *RasterGraphics* command/package you try to use is NOT the same
>> *RasterGraphics* command that was developed by Eric W. Weisstein:
>> originally it was located within the CellularAutomata.m package, then
>> the function was moved to the package Plot.m, finally, as of
>> 03.15.2005,
>>   it was replaced by the standard Mathematica function *ArrayPlot*
>> (all
>> of this from the version history of the package CellularAutomata.m).
>>
>> Therefore, for you own explorations, you should also use *ArrayPlot*.
>>
>> Hope this helps,
>> /J.M.

Trying to argue with a politician is like lifting up the head of a
corpse.
(S. Lem: His Master Voice)