Comments have crazy indentation

I like to comment my notebooks but whenever there are formulas in the
comments, Mathematica (I have 5.1) likes to give them crazy
indentations. I say crazy because there really seems to be little rhyme
or reason to it and a particular indentation is not always
reproducible. Why is mathematica trying to indent comments in the first
place? They are just comments! I'm just using the regular (* Blah blah
blah formula, blah blah blah *) structure.

Jason Quinn