Re: Extracting just the value of the variable from the result of Solve/NDSolve

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg62838] Re: [mg62803] Extracting just the value of the variable from the result of Solve/NDSolve
  • From: Renan <renan.birck at Gmail.com>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2005 00:43:06 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

On 12/5/05, Pradeep Suresh <pradeep at purdue.edu> wrote:
> Hi all,
> i am facing a peculiar problem with the curly brackets of the output of
> Solve and NDsolve commands....the result of Solve/NSolve/DSolve/NDSolve
> all are in the form of {{y->a}} format and at best by doing a y/.soln, i
> can get it to {a}, but for my purposes of passing this result to
> JAVA(using J/Link), i need the value of the variable as just 'a' and not
> '{a}'(i hope i am making myself clear).
> E.g.
> eqn={F==2*T};
> T = 300;
> sol = Solve[eqn, F]
> F /. sol
>
> gives me {600}, as i said earlier i need the answer 600(which is
> different in datatype compared to {600} even though for all practical
> purposes {600} is the same as 600). When i use J/link to extract value,
> the {600} is not considered an integer/string/double/function,...so i
> cannnot use getInteger,getString etc.
> Can someone plz suggest a solution this problem, however triveal as it
> may sound, it is an important problem in using J/Link to talk with
> Mathematica.

This works in the Mathematica front-end, don't know about J/Link:

 eqn={F==2*T};
 T = 300;
 sol = Solve[eqn, F]
 F /. sol[[1]]

In[1]:= eqn = {F==2*T};

In[2]:= T=300;

In[3]:= sol = Solve[eqn,F]

Out[3]= {{F -> 600}}

In[4]:= F/.sol[[1]]

Out[4]= 600

Obviously, this technique blows up if there are multiple solutions to
the equation.
--
Thanks/obrigado, Renan "Wishmaster" Birck - Canoas, Rio Grande do Sul, Brasil
MSN: wizard_of_yendor at hotmail.com
Orkut: http://www.orkut.com/Profile.aspx?uid=2202360379963855296