Re: Types in Mathematica, a practical example

Ingolf Dahl wrote:

> I am not allowed to Unset or Clear any part of a list either. Why not?

I should probably look into this more carefully before commenting, but, at
the risk of making an incorrect statement, I will say this.  Lists and
other entities in Mathematica are rewritten upon each evaluation.  You
never really modify an existing expression.  Instead, you modify a copy,
and assign the result to the original symbol.

My explanation is almost certainly an oversimplification in need of
refinement, but I believe it addresses the essence of your question.
--
The Mathematica Wiki: http://www.mathematica-users.org/
Math for Comp Sci http://www.ifi.unizh.ch/math/bmwcs/master.html