Re: Roman Maeder's Classes.m

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg62885] Re: [mg62857] Roman Maeder's Classes.m
  • From: Andrzej Kozlowski <akoz at>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2005 00:04:10 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at
On 7 Dec 2005, at 13:10, Steven T. Hatton wrote:

> Does anybody know where I can find an explanation of how Roman
> Maeder's
> Classes.m works?  The notebook advertised at the following link
> seems to be
> some kind of binary file insted of a Mathematica notebook:
> It may be described in _The Mathematica Programmer_, but that book is
> unfortunately out of print.  I can read the code, and understand
> most of
> it.  That does not, however, communicate the conceptual framework
> he used
> to create the package.
> --
> The Mathematica Wiki:
> Math for Comp Sci
> Math for the WWW:

It is also described in "Mastering Mathematica" by J. W. Gray (I
think he is the father of Theo Gray, the creator and developer of
Mathematica's Front End). There is a chapter on OOP in Mathematica,
Meader's package is explained and used to create a object oriented
approach to GraphTheory. I have never had the slightest liking for
this approach and I prefer the Combinatorica package by far, but the
book is very good. There have been at least two editions but I have
no idea if it is out of print or not.

Andrzej Kozlowski