Re: Mathematica Programmer vs. Programming in Mathematica

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg63105] Re: Mathematica Programmer vs. Programming in Mathematica
  • From: Bill Rowe <readnewsciv at earthlink.net>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 04:36:09 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

On 12/13/05 at 3:41 AM, hattons at globalsymmetry.com (Steven T.
Hatton) wrote:

>Has anybody read both of Roman Maeder's books _The Mathematica
>Programmer_ and _Programming in Mathematica_?  I specifically mean
>the out of print first volume of the former.

Yes. I have copies of each within arms length of my desk.

>Dose _The Mathematica Programmer_ give a significantly different
>perspective than what is presented in _Programming in Mathematica_?

I am not sure there is much difference in perspective. But there is a difference in the information covered.

Programing in Mathematica discusses the development of packages and functions to be included in those packages. There is only a brief mention of data types on page 152.

In contrast, The Mathematica Programmer has very little discussion about packages and thier development but a great deal of discussion about things such as data types, polymorhism and object oriented programming.