Re: Mathematica Programmer vs. Programming in Mathematica

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg63090] Re: Mathematica Programmer vs. Programming in Mathematica
  • From: "Jens-Peer Kuska" <kuska at informatik.uni-leipzig.de>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 04:35:53 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi,

"Programming in Mathematica" is the standard book for Mathematica
Programming, the "Mathematica Programmer" collects mainly Roman Maeders
articles in "The Mathematica Journal" and include interesting stuff like
his polyhedron code. But it focus *not* on the programming techniques ...

Both books are excelent ...

The classes.m package is designed to show, that object oriented
programming can be done in Mathematica.  But nobody would consider it
as more than an example that even a wonderfull functional programming
language can be misused for nonsense like "object oriented programming".

Regards
  Jens

"Steven T. Hatton" <hattons at globalsymmetry.com>
schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:dnm2tl$8f2$1 at smc.vnet.net...
| Has anybody read both of Roman Maeder's books
_The Mathematica Programmer_
| and _Programming in Mathematica_?  I
specifically mean the out of print
| first volume of the former.  Dose _The
Mathematica Programmer_ give a
| significantly different perspective than what is
presented in _Programming
| in Mathematica_?
|
| It is, I believe, the best source for
information about the design of his
| Classes` package.  The only other source I am
aware of is an unavailable
| (other than buying the hardcopy) back issue of
The Mathematica Journal.
| And, if my understanding is correct, that is not
as complete as the
http://www.mathematica-users.org/
http://www.ifi.unizh.ch/math/bmwcs/master.html