Re: Gray's Differential Geometry error?
- To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
- Subject: [mg63199] Re: Gray's Differential Geometry error?
- From: rip pelletier <bitbucket at comcast.net>
- Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2005 07:34:36 -0500 (EST)
- References: <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com
In article <dnv48c$och$1 at smc.vnet.net>, "Steven T. Hatton" <hattons at globalsymmetry.com> wrote: > > It appears to me that, according to his definitions, all the summations on > page 9 should be from 1 to n, and not 1 to N. That doesn't matter so much. > I can be pretty confident of the intent from the context. My real > confusion comes from the epsilon inequality involving N on page 10. I'm > not sure which N he means. Is it the N representing the number of > partitions of the curve, or is it the N representing the number of > dimensions in R^n? it appears to me that you are correct: the summations on p. 9 are to n not N. this implies that the N in the delta-epsilon bound on p. 10 is supposed to be n also, not N. he applies that common bound on p. 10 to each of n terms in the sum that defines Bj. hope this helps. oh, i'd call it a wonderful little book; the only problem is that it isn't little, of course. vale, rip -- NB eddress is r i p 1 AT c o m c a s t DOT n e t