Re: Solve Limitations

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg63222] Re: Solve Limitations
  • From: Paul Abbott <paul at>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 07:01:31 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

In article <do0lb9$415$1 at>, Pratik Desai <pdesai1 at>

> >In article <dnrcfl$khv$1 at>, Pratik Desai <pdesai1 at>
> >wrote:
> >
> >>To state the obvious, in general roots of analytic functions are hard to
> >>find. I had the misfoutune to come across a nasty complex trancendental
> >>equation. I found this Fortran Code ZEAL (Zeros of Analytic Functions)
> >>quite invaluable. Needless to say, Solve, Reduce did not help much.
> >>

> >>A Mathematica implimentation of this software would come a long way in
> >>helping us poor engineers deal with such trancendental equations. The
> >>system that I was dealing with has obvious practical significance, the
> >>only hinderance being the lack of tools such as root solvers such as
> >>ZEAL. Any takers??
> >>
> >>PS: Zeal not only can find the zeros of f(z) but also gives one the
> >>values for f(z) with high degre of precision
> >
> >Have a look at the RootSearch package by Ted Ersek:
> >

> Thanks Paul
> I did try it out once. But I was under the impression it only dealt with
> algebraics and reals, not analytic functions?

You are correct. In TMJ 6.1, Stan Wagon wrote a note about using
ContourPlot to find the roots of two equations in two unknowns over a
rectangular interval. This could be used to find the roots of analytic
functions. See

Paul Abbott                                      Phone:  61 8 6488 2734
School of Physics, M013                            Fax: +61 8 6488 1014
The University of Western Australia         (CRICOS Provider No 00126G)