Re: Re: problems with memory usage

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg63363] Re: [mg63319] Re: [mg63263] problems with memory usage
  • From: ggroup at
  • Date: Mon, 26 Dec 2005 04:59:24 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

On Friday, December 23, 2005 at 05:08 GMT -0500, Marcelle Santos
> than I save k1 and the parameters to a file, clear
> everything with

> Clear[p1];
> Howerver, after each step, the amount of memory used
> gets larger and larger and, of course, the calculation
> gets slower and slower. I don't understand exactly why
> it happens since it reads one line per time and the
> lines are very similar to each other.

> Shouldn't it just use the same amount of memory in
> every step?

Your results are likely being saved in the history (In and Out).  By
default, your In and Out history will essentially contain a complete
record of the session.

If you always store important formulas and results explicitly for
later use, then you may not need a very long history buffer. In that
case, set $HistoryLength to something low, say 1 line:

If you prefer, you can explicitly clear In and Out.  Just use
something like: