Re: Re: Questions regarding MatrixExp, and its usage

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg63391] Re: [mg63355] Re: [mg63335] Questions regarding MatrixExp, and its usage
  • From: "Michael Chang" <michael_chang86 at hotmail.com>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2005 05:24:13 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi Andrzej,

To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net

To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
> [...]
>>
>>MatrixExp[B pi]
>>
>>but not with
>>
>>MatrixPower[MatrixExp[B],pi]
>>
>>since I tend to think of MatrixExp[B pi] as Limit[MatrixExp[B t],t- >Pi]
>>(and can even revert back to an infinite power series matrix  sum for an
>>additional 'ease of understanding'), but, unlike general  'x^y' for
>>scalars, can't quite grasp what the MatrixPower[*,*]  equivalent signifies
>>...)  :(
>>
>>>Let's just illustrate this in the case of a 2 by 2 random  matrix.
>>>

>>>B=Array[Random[Integer,{1,6}]&,{2,2}]
>>>

>>>{{6,1},{5,1}}
>>>
>>>Let's take some complex p, e.g. 1+I
>>>
>>>In[65]:=
>>>N[MatrixExp[B*(1 + I)]]==N[MatrixPower[MatrixExp[B],1+I]]
>>>
>>>Out[65]=
>>>True
>>>
>>>To produce a case where the relationship does not hold just  imitate  the
>>>procedure for complex numbers given above. First we  add to   2Pi  *
>>>times the identity matrix to B:
>>>
>>>Z = B + 2 Pi*I IdentityMatrix[2];
>>>
>>>For p take any non-integer number, real or complex:
>>>

>>>N[MatrixExp[Z*(1/2)]]==N[MatrixPower[MatrixExp[Z],1/2]]
>>>

>>>False
>>>
>>>Andrzej Kozlowski
>>
>>Do any of my comments above make sense (or does anyone have a  better
>>explanation of what exactly how MatrixPower[B,p] can be  interpreted with
>>p not an integer)?  My musings simply are from a  'layman's' perspective,
>>and probably not very mathematically  'strict' ... :(
>>
>>Regards,
>>
>>Michael
>>

>You are right of course. I was much too quick optimistic to claim  that it
>would hold for all real matrices. Without giving this much  thought, I
>imagined that this can be reduced just to the result  holding for the
>eigenvalues which is, at best,  only the case for  certain types of
>matrices; in particular real normal ones.
>I imagine that   MatrixPower for arbitrary matrix and arbitrary  exponent
>is defined via the Jordan decomposition, by first you  defining it for
>Jordan blocks and then taking the suitable sum and  finally applying the
>similarity matrices. I have not considered  carefully what happens for a
>single Jordan block matrix, but I think  the power matrix will have powers
>of the eigenvalues on the diagonal  and lower powers of the eigenvalue
>given by differentiation z^p  (where p is our exponent) with certain
>coefficients above the  diagonal (essentially terms of the "Taylor
>expansion" of z^p). If I  remember correctly, this is how one defines f[A]
>for an arbitrary  smooth function f and an arbitrary complex matrix A.
>Thinking of this  definition, however, I can see no reason, why it should
>be "well  behaved" in this case for non-diagonalizable matrices, so I
>suspect  real normal matrices (perhaps without zero eigenvalues) are the
>best  you can expect in general -although I am not going to have any time
>to check this until well after the New Year.

Once again, your mathematical expertise and feedback are greatly
appreciated!

For an arbitrary square B matrix, and taking a JordanDecomposition of B,
such that

s.J.Inverse[s]==B,

I can see that

MatrixPower[B,p] == (s.J.Inverse[s] multiplied p times) == s.(J multiplied p
times).Inverse[s]

where p is a (positive) integer, say.  But, to my confusion, what does one
obtain when p=Sqrt(Pi), say?  For instance, do we still somehow get
multiples of Inverse[s].s==IdentityMatrix[n] in the resulting expression,
somehow?

Anyways, my sincere thanks again for all of your help, and best wishes to
everyone for a Happy New Year!  Bonne année!  ;)

Regards,

Michael