  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg63427] Declaring real variables using Element
  • From: "GidiL" <gidienator at gmail.com>
  • Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2005 06:40:25 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hello to all!

I am trying to declare the variable S to be real, using the Element
command:
Element[S, Reals]

Next I calculate the complex conjugate of IS (I is the imaginary unit)
Conjugate[\[ImaginaryI] S]

The result I get is
-\[ImaginaryI] Conjugate[S]

 which should have been -IS. Why does it not recognise S as a real
variable?

I would appreciate any help.

Thanks,
Gideon