matrices in matrices

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg53868] matrices in matrices
  • From: mencinosa at comcast.net (mario encinosa)
  • Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2005 04:08:18 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

i am hoping some of the experts can help me out. i calculate a bunch
(144 to be precise) of 5 x 5 matrices to be used in an
eigenvalue/eigenvector calculation in a full 60 x 60 matrix. i cannot
seem to build the 60 x 60 in a way usable by Eigenvalues and
Eigenvectors because when I try things like

mat = {{M11, M12...},  ...}

with or without Flatten, it leaves the matrix brackets intact. Any
help would be greatly appreciated!

Dr. Mario Encinosa
Associate Professor of Physics
205 Jones Hall