Re: Cannot plot this functions

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg53863] Re: Cannot plot this functions
  • From: D Herring <dherring at>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2005 04:08:13 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

> I need to plot the negative derivative of this function with respect
> to Ï?. Whne I use plot it gives me the error:
> function is not a machine - size real number at Ï?  =1.8622242690864824`*^-7

Sometimes, simply wrapping your expression in an Evaluate[] will
eliminate this error.

I've had several troublesome cases where
Plot[EXPRESSION, {t,0,10}]
gave "function is not a ... at t=4..."
Plot[Evaluate[EXPRESSION], {t,0,10}]
works just fine.

They hint about this in the documentation, but its still easy to miss.

Hope that helps,