DLL in windows, Palettes running procedures silently

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg54013] DLL in windows, Palettes running procedures silently
  • From: Erich Neuwirth <erich.neuwirth at>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2005 03:13:05 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

Answering my own question:
mciExecute = DefineDLLFunction["mciExecute",
	"winmm.dll", "LONG", {"LPSTR"}]

is what I needed to be able to call WinAPI finctions from within

Now I have
SetCurrentMidi[filename_] := (CurrentMidiFile = filename;)
PlayMidi[filename_] := mciExecute["play " <> filename]
StopMidi[filename_] := mciExecute["stop " <> filename]
PlayCurrent := (PlayMidi[CurrentMidiFile];)
StopCurrent := (StopMidi[CurrentMidiFile];)

and I would like to have PlayCurrent and StopCurrent
on palette buttons which do put the call into the notebook,
just call the functions silently and also, since there is no needed
output, also do not produce anything as output.

Can this be done? I have been unable to accomplish this
playing with the options for buttons.