Re: finding package in ExtraPackages`Enhancements`

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg54105] Re: [mg54065] finding package in ExtraPackages`Enhancements`
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 02:47:52 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

Moving Enhancements to be a direct subdirectory of $UserBaseDirectory
did NOT work for me!  Neither

find RootSearch.m.

One thing that does work is to move Enhancements to be a subdirectory of
ToFileName[{$UserBaseDirectory, "Applications"}].

But what I was hoping for was some way of setting some environment
variable, e.g., so that Mathematica would search subdirectories of
$UserBaseDirectory other than just Applications and its subdirectories.

DrBob wrote:
> Eliminate the "ExtraPackages" layer in the directory structure.
> Bobby
> On Wed, 9 Feb 2005 09:27:48 -0500 (EST), Murray Eisenberg
> <murray at> wrote:
>> Various packages suggest they should be installed in subdirectories of
>> ExtraPackages.  For example, Ersek's RootSearch.m, is to be installed in
>> subdirectory Enhancements of ExtraPackages.
>> I keep all such 3rd party add-ons in a directory tree separate from the
>> Mathematica install directory tree.  Namely, in a directory to which
>> $UserBaseDirectory points.  Thus, RootSearch.m is in directory:
>>    ToFileName[{$UserBaseDirectory, "ExtraPackages", "Enhancements"}]
>> Yet still a command such as
>>    <<Enhancements`RootSearch`
>> or
>>    Needs["Enhancements`RootSearch`"]
>> fails to find its target.
>> How can I make this work?
>> Platform: Mathematica 5.1 for Windows (XP).

Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
Amherst, MA 01003-9305