Re: how to have a blind factorization of a polinomial?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg54123] Re: how to have a blind factorization of a polinomial?
  • From: foice <NONfoiceSPAMMARE at tiscalinet.it>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2005 03:33:36 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 07:57:23 +0000 (UTC), "Jens-Peer Kuska"
<kuska at informatik.uni-leipzig.de> wrote:

>Sqrt[x + y] /. a_ + x :> x*(a/x + 1)
Thanks for your help. Probably is a viable method, but is a little less than you expect
for a WorldWideFamous software as Mathematica.
In this way you can chose the form of the output, you can also do mistaques typing
something like
Sqrt[x^3 + y^2] /. a_ + x :> x^3*(a/x + 1)
and mathematica will not prevent you from the error giving an output in the form
Sqrt[x^3*(y^2/x+1)]

Is mathematica so feature poor to allow only a "requested form" factorization?
I can't belive it.
Why there isn't somethig as Collect but that can use also negatieve powers to collect?

i.e. Collect[x+y,x,Blind] giving x(1+y/x)

Or better, at least for my task, a Mathematica command converting a function f(x,y) into a
function f(x,y/x) (if possible)

Thanks

tutto ciò che ho scritto è sempre In My Humble Opinion (IMHO)
probabilmente l'ho scritto di fretta, quindi scusate se sono stato sbrigativo.