Re: finding package in ExtraPackages`Enhancements`

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg54223] Re: [mg54065] finding package in ExtraPackages`Enhancements`
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2005 22:17:11 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

Rather than move ExtraPackages/Enhancements from my separate AddOns
directory (outside the $TopDirectory tree), I appended ExtraPackages to
$Path by an AppendTo statement in ToFileName[{$BaseDirectory, "Kernel"},

Note that I used the Windows system variable MATHEMATICA_BASE to point
to that separate AddOns directory.  (I did not also set
MATHEMATICA_USERBASE to point there, since that has the unpleasant side
effect of the names of all my pallettes in that separate AddOns
directory appear twice on the Mathematica File > Palettes menu!)

Thanks to all who replied to my original posting.

Igor C. Antonio wrote:
> Murray,
> That's because $UserBaseDirectory\ExtraPackages\Enchancements is not a
> directory that Mathematica searches through (it's not defined in $Path).
> You should place it in a directory within
> $UserBaseDirectory\Applications\
> ie:
> $UserBaseDirectory\Applications\Enhancements
> Igor C. Antonio
> Wolfram Research, Inc.
> Murray Eisenberg wrote:
>> Various packages suggest they should be installed in subdirectories of
>> ExtraPackages.  For example, Ersek's RootSearch.m, is to be installed
>> in subdirectory Enhancements of ExtraPackages.
>> I keep all such 3rd party add-ons in a directory tree separate from
>> the Mathematica install directory tree.  Namely, in a directory to
>> which $UserBaseDirectory points.  Thus, RootSearch.m is in directory:
>>    ToFileName[{$UserBaseDirectory, "ExtraPackages", "Enhancements"}]
>> Yet still a command such as
>>    <<Enhancements`RootSearch`
>> or
>>    Needs["Enhancements`RootSearch`"]