Show command trims bitmap edges? (newbie)

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg54351] Show command trims bitmap edges? (newbie)
  • From: "Matthew McMahon" <matthew.mcmahon at vanderbilt.edu>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2005 02:31:52 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hello all,

I've encountered a strange issue (running 5.0) that I couldn't find any
references to in the Help or online documentation.  I'm importing tiny
monochrome bitmap files into Mathematica, in order to create a pattern that
tiles the black-pixel pattern in x and y repeatedly. I can import the file
correctly (I've checked with the Dimensions function and everything works
properly), but when I use the Show command to check that I've got the right
bitmap, I don't see the proper image.  I tested it by creating a
1-white-pixel-wide buffer around the original image, and then I saw the
correct original image with the Show command.  So it appears that the Show
command is somehow cropping the image by 1 pixel (for images smaller than
10x10 pixels).

I suppose I could just design all my bitmaps with an extra pixel buffer, but
that's much less elegant.  Does anyone know why this is happening?

Appreciating any help,
Matthew