text blocks graph axis?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg54348] text blocks graph axis?
  • From: "biomath2" <biomath2 at sbcglobal.net>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2005 02:31:48 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Dear all,

I'm using Mathematica 4.0.

I'm having trouble adding graphics primitives to my graphs.  When I add
axeslabels to a 3-D plot, a blank space after the label continues all
the way to the right end of the graph, effectively overwriting
everything in its path.  Also, when I add text to a graph using the
Text function, the same thing happens.  For example,

 contour2 = ListContourPlot[graphdata, MeshRange -> {{0, αmax}, {0,
βmax}},
      Contours -> 2, ContourShading -> False, AxesLabel -> {"θx",
            "θy"}, Epilog -> Text[FontForm["3", {"Times-
      Italic", 9}], {0.3, 0.1}]] ;

The text window for the number 3 extends all the way across the graph,
blocking contours and the bounding box and all.

Is there some way to specify that the text or label is only x
characters long and therefore does not need so much space?

And, in the above example, the AxesLabels do not show up...I see that
this is an option for contour graphics in general, but I guess not for
ListContourPlot in particular?

thanks for any tips!