SparseArray, DensityGraphics, ContourGraphics, and SurfaceGraphics

DensityGraphics works fine with SparseArray objects, but niether
ContourGraphics nor SurfaceGraphics does. (I'm using 5.1 for Windows.)
This seems to me like a poor design decision (if it's not a bug).

sa=SparseArray[IdentityMatrix[10]];
glist=Through[{DensityGraphics,ContourGraphics,SurfaceGraphics}[sa]];
Show /@ glist;

--Mark.