Plots for publishing

Do anyone have suggestions for preparing plots in Mathematica for
publishing in Publicon?

I need to prepare non-color plots for a journal.  In some journals,
authors put the legend info in the caption.  For instance, the symbol
for data markers are embedded in the caption text.  How do I do this
efficiently?  The Legend[] feature creates legends that are too large
for plots that are 3"x3" so I prefer to place the legend info in the
caption text.  Is there a better way?

Thanks,
Lawrence