Re: Plots for publishing

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg54607] Re: [mg54585] Plots for publishing
  • From: "David Annetts" <davidannetts at>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 03:21:11 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

Hi Lawrence

To: mathgroup at
> Sent: Wednesday, 23 February 2005 19:12
> To: mathgroup at
> Subject: [mg54607] [mg54585] Plots for publishing
> Do anyone have suggestions for preparing plots in Mathematica
> for publishing in Publicon?
> I need to prepare non-color plots for a journal.  In some
> journals, authors put the legend info in the caption.  For
> instance, the symbol for data markers are embedded in the
> caption text.  How do I do this efficiently?  The Legend[]
> feature creates legends that are too large for plots that are
> 3"x3" so I prefer to place the legend info in the caption
> text.  Is there a better way?

I don't know whether it's "better", but you can construct a legend using
graphics primitives & PlotSymbol[].  You can also resize & reposition the
legend (using LegendSize & LegendPosition).  You might be able to reduce the
legend size by using a mnemonic in the key which you can refer to in the

You might also get some inspiration from Tufte's books

Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.