Notebook 'suddenly' does not talk to Kernel

In all my versions (Mathematica 4.2.1, 5.0, 5.1) the Notebook will NOT
launch or talk to the kernel. All have have working (had launched)
kernels

Probable cause: I had  'carefully' allowed windows 'Disk Cleanup' to
remove some redundant files to save disk space. I cannot see how
Mathematica needed:

- downloaded program files
- temporary  internet files
- MS error reporting temp files

but who knows?

Actions taken (all failed) : I have uninstalled M4.2.1 and
re-installed but this has no effect. I restored the Windows XP
registry to the day before the problem.

I am hoping someone has had and fixed this problems.

Thanks
Peter Aptaker