RSolve and complex solutions
- To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
- Subject: [mg54693] RSolve and complex solutions
- From: skirmantas.janusonis at yale.edu (Skirmantas)
- Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2005 01:29:18 -0500 (EST)
- Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com
It may be a basic math question, but it would be helpful if somebody could briefly comment on it. If I have a system of recursion equations with real coefficients and solve it numerically step-by-step, all my solutions at all time steps are (obviously) real. If, however, I use RSolve to get the general formulas for these solutions, some of them become complex numbers. My understanding is the imaginary parts of these numbers are due to rounding errors and the actual solutions are only the real parts. Am I right?