Re: Re: Slowdown

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg53254] Re: [mg53241] Re: Slowdown
  • From: yehuda ben-shimol <benshimo at bgu.ac.il>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2005 04:29:31 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi Roland,
I'm afraid this is not true. Just try to run the code I sent with my
post.  "weirdness" was time consuming while weirdness1 was not. In
addition it happened (not consistently) that function name of a SINGLE
character suffered from this behavior as well.
the code is given below for your convenience.

t = CharacterRange["a", "z"];
Do[fname = StringJoin[t[[Table[Random[Integer, {1,26}], {i}]]]];
Print[i, "\t", fname, "\t",
	Timing[
	  Module[{fs = ToExpression[fname], L},
          L = fs[];
        Do[L = fs[L, j], {j, 104}]]]], {i, 1, 50}, {5}]

yehuda