Mercator projection from http://mathworld.wolfram.com/MercatorProjection.html with missing earth.pts

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg53250] Mercator projection from http://mathworld.wolfram.com/MercatorProjection.html with missing earth.pts
  • From: Klamser at t-online.de (klamser)
  • Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2005 04:29:27 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hello,

under

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/MercatorProjection.html

everyone can get a notebook about the Mercator projection.

In this NB you can find the statement:

For a list of Eric's math packages that may be needed to evaluate this
notebook, see http://mathworld.wolfram.com/packages/.  An archive of
these packages may be downloaded from
http://mathworld.wolfram.com/packages/MathWorldPackages.zip, as well as
from the Mathematica Information Center's MathSource item 4775.  A list
of Eric's utility packages that may be needed to evaluate this notebook
may be downloaded from MathSource item 5087.

No problem downloading and installing
http://mathworld.wolfram.com/packages/MathWorldPackages.zip.

But it needs the file: earth.pts

But I don't know where I can find it. Internet search with google does
not help.

No problem, I thought, because Mathematica obtains the
<<Miscellaneous`WorldData` package.

With

Needs["Miscellaneous`WorldPlot`"]
wd = {#1, WorldData[#1]/60 // N} & /@ Map[ToString, World];
wd >> "c:\\z\\bin\\w.pts";

I can extract the Data an put it into a file, where
MercatorProjection.nb can read it.

But it does not work.

The package << MathWorld`MapProjections` contains the code for reading
the data:

MapCoordinates[opts___] := Module[
 {data, pos, dir = StringJoin[{MapDirectory,Directory} /. {opts} /.
Options[MapCoordinates]], file = MapFile /. {opts}
/.Options[MapCoordinates]},
(*=>*) data = ReadList[dir <> file, Word, RecordLists ->
True,WordSeparators -> {"\t", " "}, RecordSeparators -> {"\n"}];
(*=>*) pos = Flatten[Position[First /@ data, _?(StringTake[#, 1] == "#"
&)]];
(*=>*) ToExpression /@ Take[data, #] & /@ Transpose[{Most[pos + 1],
Rest[pos - 1]}]Degree];

Can someone tell me,
a) where can I find a file earth.pts or
b) which format the earth.pts file must have, that the <<
MathWorld`MapProjections` package works fine.

Kind regards,

Peter Klamser