concatenating files, slowdown

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg53327] concatenating files, slowdown
  • From: George Szpiro <george at>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2005 02:52:02 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

I have finally given up on shuffling 10^8 numbers, and decided to shuffle
ten files of 10^7 numbers each. (ShuffledA.doc ... ShuffledJ.doc. I have Mathematica
Version 4.2 and used Put[OutputForm[ to create the files.)

Now I am trying to concatenate the ten files

Question 1: I need quadratic time to just read the files. (See below.) WHY?

Question 2: Is there an easy way to concatenate files?

Thanks for any pointers,
george at

  Print["Length: ",Length[aa]];

From In[15]:= Length: 100000