Debian Woes

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg53325] Debian Woes
  • From: nickleeson at gmail.com
  • Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2005 02:52:00 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Dear friends,
I am running  ubuntu Linux 2.6.8.1-3-386  on a pentium 4 machine. I am
trying to get Mathematica run from remote server with uname -a specs as
"SunOS apache 5.9 Generic_112233-12 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire-880"
So , I read all the instructions and download the Type1,BDF and PCG
tar.gz files ,then I unpack them into a neat MathFonts directory I
created for myself. I then add the following lines to my .bashrc file
##added for mathematica
xset fp+ /home/nick/MathFonts/Type1
xset fp+ /home/nick/MathFonts/BDF
xset fp+ /home/nick/MathFonts/PCF
xset fp rehash

I then open a different xterm  and do a  ssh -X -C
hostname_where_mathematica_runs, I login and punch mathematica
enthusiastically...
I see the Mathematica splash-screen coming on my local
machine..coool...
and then Mathematica complains that it can't find the needed
fonts...too bad :( , i say continue..Mathematica says it can't find
Math1 fonts and then defaults to courier.

So friends , where am i going wrong?? I have tried to read all the
related posts and stuff on the internet , but everything seems to be in
accordance.

Any tips would be heartly appreciated!

-Nick