Re: 2D plot for lists?

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg53430] Re: 2D plot for lists?
  • From: Bill Rowe <readnewsciv at>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 01:31:33 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

On 1/9/05 at 11:03 PM, rob at (J. K. Smith) wrote:

>I'd like to make a 2D plot using two lists for the x and y axes.  I
>need what ParametricPlot[ {x[t], y[t]}, {t, tmin, tmax}] does for
>two functions of t except x and y are lists of values. There
>doesn't seem to be a ParametricListPlot[] to do this.  Any

I am assuming both x and y are 1 dimensionsal lists. If so, you can achieve what you want by using Interpolation to change each list into an InterpolatingFunction and then using the resulting functions in ParametricPlot. For example,

y = Table[Random[], {5}];
x = Table[Random[] + 2*n, {n, 5}];
fx = Interpolation[x];
fy = Interpolation[y];
ParametricPlot[{fx[t], fy[t]}, {t, 1, 5}];