[Admin] Moderated newsgroup forged posts

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg53472] [Admin] Moderated newsgroup forged posts
  • From: steve at smc.vnet.net
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 03:12:19 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

As I mentioned in an earlier message, some messages in the Google group
that corresponds to comp.soft-sys.math.mathematica have had some
so-called forged posts.    Some of you will notice weird posts
in the newsgroup that have nothing to do with Mathematica.  I contacted
the Google support people and the have responded with the message
below.

If you want to bother with removing any post that are connected
with your posts, contact groups-support at google.com.

Steve Christensen
Moderator

Thank you for your note. We apologize for our delay in responding to your
email.

The problem you are describing sounds like part of an attack that was made
on several groups during the last two weeks of December. The poster used a
news service that allowed (or was vulnerable to) altering the headers of
his posts. He faked email addresses, message IDs, and approval headers for
moderated groups.

We can remove the forged posts from our archives if your members who
actually own those email addresses request it.

Regards,
The Google Team