Re: importing mat format doesn't import variable names

It seems that Import extracts only numerical data and loses the variable
names from MAT files.

OK, how about an Export problem?

Let's say I have two arrays:
aa={2,3}
and
bb={{9,8,7},{6,5,4},{3,2,1}}

How can I save both of these to a MAT file?

I can save either one, e.g.:
Export["filename",aa,"MAT"];

But if I try to:
Export["filename",{aa,bb},"MAT"];

The resulting file size is 0 and the Import consequently fails.

Any way to export more than one matrix to a MAT file?

What I would really like to do is save all the currently defined
variables to a MAT file. I tried:

Export["filename",ToExpression[Names["`*"]],"MAT"];

But that fails in the same way as the preceeding example when there is
more than one variable defined.

To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net