Re: importing mat format doesn't import variable names

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg53511] Re: importing mat format doesn't import variable names
  • From: Ben Barrowes <barrowes at alum.mit.edu>
  • Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2005 01:44:10 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

It seems that Import extracts only numerical data and loses the variable
names from MAT files.

OK, how about an Export problem?

Let's say I have two arrays:
aa={2,3}
and
bb={{9,8,7},{6,5,4},{3,2,1}}

How can I save both of these to a MAT file?

I can save either one, e.g.:
Export["filename",aa,"MAT"];

But if I try to:
Export["filename",{aa,bb},"MAT"];

The resulting file size is 0 and the Import consequently fails.

Any way to export more than one matrix to a MAT file?

What I would really like to do is save all the currently defined
variables to a MAT file. I tried:

Export["filename",ToExpression[Names["`*"]],"MAT"];

But that fails in the same way as the preceeding example when there is
more than one variable defined.

To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net