NIntegrate with Minimize

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg53549] NIntegrate with Minimize
  • From: Oz <x_download at hotmail.com>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2005 22:24:06 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hiya,

I'm having trouble performing a numerical integration that involves a
Minimize. I think it might have something to do with HoldAll, but am not
sure how to fix it (couldn't find any actual solutions that worked in
the archives). Any help most appreciated. Here is a simplified version
of the code (the function and constraints I'm actually using are more
complicated):

ff[a_] := First[Minimize[{x + a, 0 â?¤ x â?¤ 2}, {x}]]
NIntegrate[ff[a], {a, 0, 6}]

Mathematica raises a Minimize::objv error, complaining that a+x contains
a nonconstant expression independent of x, and so the NIntegrate fails.
Ideas?

Thanks,
Oz