Re: GUIKit: <<file quirk

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg53570] Re: GUIKit: <<file quirk
  • From: Bill Rowe <readnewsciv at earthlink.net>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 05:08:22 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

On 1/16/05 at 10:24 PM, dabrowsa at indiana.edu (Andrew Dabrowski)
wrote:

>I've noticed that if you want to read a file into a running GUI you
>must be sure the file has semicolons after every line.  If the file
>e.g. contains

>f[2]=5

>f[3]=8

>the GUI kernel will understand this as

>f[2]=5 f[3]=8.

>If the file instead has the semicolons

>f[2]=5;

>f[3]=8;

>then it works fine.

Then what works fine? I don't see the issue. Consider the following:

starting with a fresh session

In[1]:=
f[2] = 5;
f[3] = 8;
Save["test", f];

In[4]:=
!!test

f[2] = 5

f[3] = 8

In[5]:=
Remove[f];
f[2]
Out[6]=f[2]

(* showing the definition of f has been removed *)

In[7]:=
<< "test";

In[8]:=f[2]
Out[8]=5

In[9]:=f[3]
Out[9]=8

(* showing the definition of f has been restored *)

So what is it you see as not working when there are no semicolons?