element selection

I have two long sorted lists of Integers.  If the difference between a number in list 1 and a
number in list 2 is less than a certain value, both are selected to create a couple.  I am
looking for a fast way to go through both lists and extract these elements to create a new list
of couples.  I tried a number of things, but all of them were rather slow so I need some expert
advice here.

Thx,

Peter