Memory usage

I am trying to use mathematica to analyse large data sets but I always run
into memory problems

I read a set of 16220656 Integer32 numbers from a file.  Mathematica
stores these numbers efficiently in a packed array which consumes
16220656*4=64882680  bytes.  I want to divide the list whenever the number
is 0 using the Split command. However, this process take 316 Mbyte of
memory (difference between MemoryInUse before and after the Split
command).

Could somebody explain why Mathematica is using such a large amount of
memory and how to avoid this ?  Is there a good reference on the topic of
memory efficient programming in Mathematica ?

Peter