Plotting lists of functions

Try this in Mathematica:

Plot[{1, 2}, {x, 0, 1}]
listOfFunctions = Table[i, {i, 1, 2}] (*now listOfFunctions equals
{1,2}*)
Plot[listOfFunctions, {x, 0, 1}]

Can anyone tell me a) WHY the first Plot instruction works and the
second doesn't and
b) How I can MAKE this kind of construction work. I need the
construction in a much more general context than this---this is the
simplest example where the "obvious" code screws up.

I tried the archives of the mailing lists, but they all refer to
EFFICIENCY questions. I can't even get Mathematica to parse the above
3 lines of code.

Please copy any responses to dbae at maths.warwick.ac.uk, because I don't
read the Mathematica mailing list.

Thanks a lot