Function to handle array with variable _number_ of dimensions?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg58509] Function to handle array with variable _number_ of dimensions?
  • From: Joe Christy <joe at eshu.net>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2005 01:57:48 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I'd like to write a function that takes two integer arguments, P and Q
say, and then returns a value calculated from the P x P x ... x P (Q
factors) array, whose entries depend on both P and Q. My first impulse
is to try and iterate over the array, but I don't see how to generate a
 non-fixed number of iteration variables.

Does anyone have a suggestion of a good way to do this, short of writing
a a distinct variant function for each possible value of Q?

--
------------------ http://public.xdi.org/=joe.christy ------------------