//N bug, but WHY?

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg58634] //N bug, but WHY?
  • From: "symbio" <symbio at>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2005 04:19:20 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

Evaluating (using //N) two exact same expressions, gives wrong answer unless
fullsimplify is used first, I spent 2 days on a problem thinking my answer
was wrong, but turned out Mathematica 5 was giving me buggy answers, I
debugged it to this point, but WHY in the world is this happening?  Please

cut and paste below to see the test case:

\!\(\(Cosh[\(43\ \[Pi]\)\/\@2] + \((1 - Cosh[43\ \@2\ \[Pi]])\)\ Csch[
            43\ \@2\ \[Pi]]\ Sinh[\(43\ \[Pi]\)\/\@2] // FullSimplify\) //
  Cosh[\(43\ \[Pi]\)\/\@2] + \((1 - Cosh[43\ \@2\ \[Pi]])\)\ Csch[
          43\ \@2\ \[Pi]]\ Sinh[\(43\ \[Pi]\)\/\@2] // N\)