Re: FrameTicks bug

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg58639] Re: [mg58630] FrameTicks bug
  • From: "David Annetts" <davidannetts at>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2005 04:19:24 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

Hi Anthony,
> Well, I guess it's not actually a bug, but . . .
> FrameTicks -> {Automatic, Automatic, None, None}

This is surely semantics ....  In the sense that Ticks are printed, there is
no bug.  However, since the options for Ticks (which is what the FrameTicks
ends up using) include specifications for a label, then it is clearly a bug.

> puts tick marks AND numerical labels on bottom and left edges.
> FrameTicks -> {None, Automatic, Automatic, None}
> puts tick marks and numerical labels on left edge, tick marks and NO
> NUMERICAL LABELS on top edge.
> How can I put the same Automatic numbers that would have been created
> for the bottom edge, on the top edge?

Apparently, a user-defined Ticks function works just fine, so you can use

FrameTicks->{None, Automatic, myTicks, None}

However, rather than define myTicks, I'd suggest using Mark Caprio's
CustomTicks package (
which makes it as easy as

Plot[x^2, {x, -2, 2}, FrameTicks -> {None, Automatic, LinTicks[-2, 2],