Re: positive square root

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg58693] Re: positive square root
  • From: "Jens-Peer Kuska" <kuska at informatik.uni-leipzig.de>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2005 03:02:09 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi,

*you* live in a "world where the square root is
always a positive number" ?
and you can't escape ? And what is Sqrt[-1] in
your world ?
For real positive arguments Mathematica will
compute real positve
square roots, just say Simplify[] and
FullSimplify[] that your arguments
are real and positive ?

Regards
  Jens

"paulvonhippel at yahoo" <paulvonhippel at yahoo.com>
schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:db57ne$4no$1 at smc.vnet.net...
|I work in a world where the square root is always
a positive number.
| But Mathematica allows for the possibility of
negative square roots.
| Two questions arise:
|
| (1) Is there a way to tell Mathematica that I'm
only interested in
| positive square roots?
|
| (2) My current solution is to use, e.g.,
Abs[Sqrt[z]]. But when
| Mathematica echoes this, it puts the Abs
function *under* the radical,
| so it looks like Sqrt[Abs[z]]. Is this a bug in
the display?