positive square root
- To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
- Subject: [mg58684] positive square root
- From: "paulvonhippel at yahoo" <paulvonhippel at yahoo.com>
- Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 02:49:10 -0400 (EDT)
- Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com
I work in a world where the square root is always a positive number. But Mathematica allows for the possibility of negative square roots. Two questions arise: (1) Is there a way to tell Mathematica that I'm only interested in positive square roots? (2) My current solution is to use, e.g., Abs[Sqrt[z]]. But when Mathematica echoes this, it puts the Abs function *under* the radical, so it looks like Sqrt[Abs[z]]. Is this a bug in the display?