Re: No more memory available.

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg58906] Re: No more memory available.
  • From: LumisROB <lumisrob_NOGOOD_ at yahoo.com>
  • Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2005 05:32:14 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 06:13:03 +0000 (UTC), "Mukhtar Bekkali"
<mbekkali at gmail.com> wrote:

>If you search this forum or google for key words like "no more memory
>available" you would get your answer.
>
>I personally suspect that Mathematica has problems with Intel HT
>because running the same code on 64bit machine with 8gb of ram gives
>the exact same error message, while running it on AMD cpu or Intel w/o
>HT (or HT disabled) yields the result.  The easiest way to handle this
>problem is to disable HT in bios.  Also, new version of Mathematica
>might have addressed this problem. I know 5.0 does not.

I am using Mathematica 5.1

Excuse me

  calculation  is :

m= Table[i^2+i*j*3.23.....,{i,10000},[j,10000} ];
Det[ m]

the program jams for lack of memory. Now neglecting the nature of the
calculation above suitable I wonder me because this happens
My computer has 1 GB of Ram, Processor AMD 3400+ , Win XP 32 Bit.
I have tried to plan the virtual memory to a superior value to 4 GBs
hoping to resolve the problem. Looking however at the virtual memory
during the calculation is seen that at the most 2,3 GBs are used only.
I have tried then to realize the calculation installing Win XP 64 Bit
with file system Ntfs + Mathematica 5.2 (64 Bit)4 GB RAM,  but the
problem is not resolved
I think that increasing the RAM I could resolve but I don't understand
the nature of the problem. How is the memory managed? As it is
possible to esteem previously if my hardaware+software allows the
calculation that I want to perform?

Thanks for the help