Re: Operating with binary numbers
- To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
- Subject: [mg59062] Re: Operating with binary numbers
- From: Jean-Marc Gulliet <jeanmarc.gulliet at gmail.com>
- Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 02:26:06 -0400 (EDT)
- Organization: The Open University, Milton Keynes, U.K.
- References: <email@example.com>
- Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com
Wishmaster wrote: > Hello, > > I found that you can represent binary numbers in Mathematica with this: > > binary = 2^^110110101010111010 > 223930 > > And BaseForm[binary, 10] returns the number in decimal form > 223930 > > I'd like to know if is there some function to test if a given bit of the > binary number is on, and to do operations like "shifting" the binary number. > I looked at the help but can't find anything. > > I use Mathematica 5.0 on Windows XP. > > Thanks. Hi Wishmaster :-) Have a look at the *Developer* package. It contains some functions such as http://documents.wolfram.com/mathematica/functions/BitShiftRight Best regards, /J.M.