Re: silly questions?
- To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
- Subject: [mg59091] Re: silly questions?
- From: dh <dh at metrohm.ch>
- Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 02:27:53 -0400 (EDT)
- References: <email@example.com>
- Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com
Hi Kent, obviously, Mathematica considers (x^5-32)/(x-2) simplier than 16 + 8*x + 4*x^2 + 2*x^3 + x^4 Why? Consider that Mathematica must have some function to value the complexity of an expression. This function is called: "ComplexityFunction" and by default counts the leafs. That explains the above. You may change this behaviour by specifying another function, see Help. sincerely, Daniel Kent Holing wrote: > Why does not (x^5-32)/(x-2)//FullSimplify in Mathematica work? > Compare with Factor[x^5-32]//InputForm which returns (-2 + x)*(16 + 8*x + 4*x^2 + 2*x^3 + x^4). > So why does not the first command just return 16 + 8*x + 4*x^2 + 2*x^3 + x^4? > As in a factorization above, how is the easiest way to pick automatically (by a function) the factors of say degree >=2, if any ? > > Kent Holing >