  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg57585] FourierTransform
  • From: "Marcin Rak" <umrakmm at>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2005 06:04:03 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

I was wondering what the exact mathematica equation of the following
Mathematica Command was:

This gives -i/w + pie*DiracDelta[w]

which is correct.  However, when I substitute my UnitStep[t] function
into the direct definition employed by FourierTransform, I don't get the
same result.  ie

Integrate[UnitStep[t]*Exp[-i*w*t],{t,-infinity,infinity}] Doesn't give
the same result, despite the fact that in section 3.5.11 of the
Mathematica book it is defined as such?